Friday, March 30, 2007

A bugged life

I remember the days at home when I would run out a room if I saw anything crawling that didn't have a social security number. But living and traveling in Africa for six months has changed that a bit. Now a shower is acceptable if there aren't a couple of 5" slugs, spiders are okay as long as the cobwebs aren't in the stream of the water, giant moths are tolerable if they stay on the wall, beetles are left alone as long as i can see them, and I just glaze over the mildew, dirt and rust. Every few minutes I take inventory to make sure they're all still on the walls, ceiling and fixtures and not sneaking around. The sinks are a whole other issue. I've shared taps with beetles, colonies of ants, spiders, furry worms, wasps, grasshoppers, and countless other creepy crawly and flying insects. I don't even want to get into the details of the bathrooms. Just imagine having to drop your drawers in a neglected, therefore thriving, insectarium. Actually, no don't do that. Therefore dim lighting is preferred; the less seen the better. But the worst is when the power goes out. Then you want to flee but are too afraid to move and the words 'they're more afraid of you than you are of them' sounds ludicrous.

No comments: